Tin On coop Walls

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by abhaya, Nov 11, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I have great high ventalation in the coop I am building. I am concerned about coons.

I am thinking about doing the bottom 18 inches (aprox) with roofing tin There will be silkies in the coop so the will not roost very high if at all. My roosts will be 2x4 about 4 to 6 inches off the floor just above the litter basically.

Will this bo ok?

2. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i live in hawaii and we have lots of mongoose and rats, and cats (domestic and feral) and dogs that are chicken killers and i have old recycled tin roofing around the base of my coop... we have moved since this photo but we took everything apart and rebuilt it at the new house. the pic is from inside and i only had a half screened roof at the time because we lived where it was really dry a lot, now we live in the jungle so to speak and i still have the tin around the entire bottom and back and one side even, then lots of chicken wire and tin roofing. my bird free range all the time so we really dont have an entirely closed in coop and run separate because the weather is mostly warm with some good rain and we are fighting with the mud! good thing theres lots of hay at the feed store! but overall my birds are doing great - no problems with the tin its the overall mud and now the mites that we have inherited with the new house and yard - thats the thing with warm weather all the time and lots of rain - BUGS!!! i love to garden - organically which is not always easy here when the entire island practically loves roundup -aaaaaaaaaahhhh. anyway i digress i think using recycled stuff rocks!! good luck with your coop:D and keeping out those pesky critters!!

[​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I am guessing you mean to have hardwarecloth above the tin? (?)

If so, I would suggest that your arrangement would probably be ok IF YOU ADD an additional higher square of roofing tin or heavy plywood at each end of the roost where it attaches to the wall. So that a chicken roosting right against the mesh, at the end of the roost, is still pretty far from raccoon fingers (and farther from *tempting* the raccoon). Around the rest of the pen, as long as there are no other high objects that a bird could get up on right next to the wire (waterer, etc) then you should probably be just about ok with only 18".

The big thing is to make sure everything is attached really, really sturdily. Raccoons are quite strong.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by