Tin versus Acrylic roofing panels

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by billfields, Oct 24, 2010.

1. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I've been working on my coop for the last few weeks and have been planning it for several months. I've always planned to use the solar grey acrylic roofing panels because I liked the idea of the natural light. Well today I managed to get in a good day and finished the siding and cutting out the windows and doors, did some trim work and got to the point of being ready to put on the roof. I went to Home Depot get the supports for the acrylic panels and to see how many I could fit into my Prius. So I'm looking at them and 12 foot solar grey are about $32 each (I'm gonna need 7). Plus about a buck each for the supports---another $35 or so. Right under it is corrugated tin. Twelve foot sheets of that are about $13 each and I don't think I would need nearly the same number of supports. Suddenly the diffused natural light coming through the roof didn't seem as vital...[​IMG]

The coop is 12x8 divided into an 8x8 coop areas and a 4x8 storeroom. There is a window in each section about 2x21/2 feet. The door between the two rooms will be a dutch door with the upper part essentially a frame covered in 1/2 inch hardware cloth. There's also a door for cleaning under the roost area and the pop door as well as the solid door to the store room. I'll also add some vents between the rafters. The coop sits in a very shaded area (photo below) so with all that air flow I'm thinking tin shouldn't be too hot. And it's probably $150 less. Anyone have thoughts on one or the other?

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have an all tin coop and it's a lot warmer here than there, plus there is no shade. I run a box fan and on bad days I hose the roof off. I need to add a coat of that white paint-on roof coating and it will be fine for them. Plus I have almost all of one side and a large chunk of the opposite side made of hardware cloth, no tin.

I didn't really choose the tin, it was free and available. But I don't regret it. It will last forever. If I were you I'd go with tin. And with your shade you probably don't need the roof coating I need!

3. billfields

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    The trees make a tremendous difference. I started working on it just at the end of the really hot weather and you could feel such a difference from the open yard to that area. It was actually because of the shade I wanted to let in as much light as I could.....until this afternoon when I figured out that light was gonna cost me a hundred and fifty bucks more. [​IMG] Then I started thinking how soothing it would be for the chickens to be able to listen to rain on a tin roof [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree- the tin lasts so much longer!!!

I LOVE tin roofs.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Probably the only relatively expensive thing on a tin roof is the screws with the polyurethane collars. Check out larger quantity prices.

Don't believe the HD people that tell you to screw into the peak of the tin -- screw into the low part.

Nothing special for supports, just 2x4's and 2x2's, then some thin plywood. I have built them with 2x2's only on sheds, you just can't walk on them.

I would not put anything but tin on anything -- my house, a coop you name it. When my current shingle roof on my home gets about 5 years old, tin is going over it.

6. billfields

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I was basically planning to put it on just like the acrylic stuff, just over the rafters, no plywood at all. I don't plan to ever be walking up there and it's pretty much already ready for it to go on. Roof is 12 foot long, I was going to put in 2x4 supports about every 4 feet between the rafters and just attach the tin to that with screws. Would that work? Attaching into the low part would mean I wouldn't need ANY of those plastic supports at all.

7. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    double check the plastic supporters at Home Depot actually fit your tin............we bought/installed them and then discovered our tin does not match them (all materials bought at the same Home Depot at the same time too....grrr )

8. billfields

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:If ddawn is right about not having to put the screws on the "peaks" but rather in the "valleys" then I don't know you would need those plastic things would you? Maybe at the very front and back to seal it up but I would think just resting on supports between the rafters would be good enough. I kinda understand why with the acrylic stuff but with tin, it should be strong enough to support itself. But I was thinking in HD today about how you knew which support actually fits what roofing as they are all bundled up with the shaped sides in so you can't test it.

9. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    My guy told me to screw the tin in on the peaks.....and yes I am using the special $6 a box screws.....the valleys would be MUCH easier!

10. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Corrugated roofing manufacture specs is for screwing at the peak.
    In a big rain the valleys will be full of water.
    You can screw into the valey there is just a better chance of leaks. It is amazing how water gets into everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by