Tiny 12 week old silkie (now with pictures)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GothChick, Jan 2, 2011.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have a silkie that is TINY compared to its "siblings', I also have 5 week old silkies that are bigger then it. I have never seen one so small. I have OEGBs, and other bantams that hatched the same day and they are all bigger then "her". I'm going to take pictures as soon as I can but I just wanted to see if it's normal for a silkie to be so small.

Ok so I took some pictures of "her" but it's hard to show how tiny "she" is unless you see "her" in person. I tried to put "her" next to some other chicks so you can compare size.

This is a picture of her next to a 6 week old partridge silkie chick. She is 12 weeks and the same size.

[​IMG]

This is her next to 1.5 week old Cuckoo Marans chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    sometimes you get an extra small one. I have one cuckoo hen that is about half the size of the other hens. her eggs are the same size [​IMG]

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Waiting for pictures

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Me too. I have one that is maybe half the size of the others probably less than half. He/She's so cute. It is a little buff colored silkie a few mos old.

5. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    So could I try to breed the smaller size or would it not breed true?

6. Gordonhillfarm

Gordonhillfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Maine
    I don't understand why you would think your small silkie wouldn't breed true ?? Silkies are one of the oldest breed of true Bantams . They are supposed to be small . They are getting LG because of all the project birds. Small is really much more natural. I strive for a small cob size silkie in my breeding programs . They produce beautiful eggs and chicks .

7. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ok I just wasn't sure because all the silkies I have seen around the fairs here always look so big. I know Seramas don't breed true and I wasn't sure if the Silkies were the same. I'm hoping to use her to get the smallest silkies I can. Her quality is pretty crappy but I am hoping to breed her with my best quality rooster and balance it out. What color is she considered? I have buffs and she is super reddish compared to them. Could she be a red silkie?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by