Tiny babies?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Duckchick2011, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Hey guys!

My flemish Doe gave me 11 babies this morning. [​IMG]

Anyway, I noticed that a few of them are incredibly tiny, not just little, TINY, like half the size of the others. They seem just as healthy and active as any baby, but there is no ignoring how miniscule they are. The only reason I can think is that I rebreed her early on thinking she hadn't took, when in fact she had. *facepalm* I am very thankful everything went through okay but know I am wondering if these little ones are going to live or not? Any clues [​IMG]

2. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Here is a picture, like I said, they are tiny. The biggest kit is just an average sized kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. PoultryPower

PoultryPower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I've had a couple kits like this is litters. Thankfully they've all made it fine.
    I would just watch and make sure they have full tummies after mom feeds.
    I am noticing that the smaller ones have less fur coming in. I would think that they could definitely be a different litter from when you re-bred her.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Well that's comforting to hear. :) Yeah, they are like little premies. I specifically remember re-breeding her so that must be what happened. She also carried this liter well beyond her due date. I was trying my darndest to figure out what was going on but it all kinda makes since now. She had me worried to say the least, so I'm thanking god on this one. Could have lost the whole liter. :/

5. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Wow, you're lucky... or God has definitely blessed you!

Keep an eye on those babies. You're going to want to wean the others first when they get old enough. ;)

6. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    He must have, it's the only thing I can think :) They are still going strong today, just as active and healthy as they others so I'm not complaining [​IMG]I will keep the weaning early in mind, hopefully they will catch up okay. I fostered a few of the biggest to a different doe's litter (she only had two) so that the littlest ones would have less competition. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by