1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tiny baby button quail broken ankle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bug n Flock, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Bug n Flock

Bug n Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    One of my tiny baby button quail (hatched today or yesterday) has a broken ankle. Is there anything I can do to help it or is this pretty much a "wait and see" situation?

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Eastern Colorado
    My Coop
    If you cut up the sticky part of a bandaid into strips, you can make him some kind of brace. If you can isolate it in it's own little pen so it can't run around and make it worse, that would help, too.
    Does it look like the bone is messed up? If it looks crooked then you would have to set it back in place, otherwise it will heal crooked and he won't be able to get around well.
    If it does end up healing crooked, then put him in with some quail that are few days younger, so he can have some company and not get bullied.
    Now watch this, I called baby "he" this whole thing, and it's gonna grow up and be a girl [​IMG]

I hope "it" gets better!

3. Bug n Flock

Bug n Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Hey thanks for the reply. The chick has recovered very well and is running around just fine so yay!

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Eastern Colorado
    My Coop
    Awesome! Hope he keeps getting better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by