1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tiny baby - should I worry?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jendodd79, Oct 4, 2012.

1. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    We have one very, very tiny little easter egger chick that is 7 days old. All of my other chicks (that are 8-10 days old and different breeds) are at least twice the size of it. They all have wing feathers and the beginnings of a tail and shoulder feathers and the little EE baby hasn't sprouted any yet.

It seems to be making it's way otherwise, but I can't help but worry - In the beginning it was very unsteady and had pasty butt, but we got that cleared up. It's back end just seems so tiny but I don't know if it was a lack of feathers compared to the other ones.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sometimes chicks don't thrive for some reason, but you can help her by upping her protein intake (scrambled egg and plain yoghurt) and by giving her a boost with a vitamins+minerals supplement in her drink water. Good luck!

3. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    What age can you start giving them scrambled egg? We've been doing yogurt for a few days now, I can't believe how much the chicks go crazy for it! I'm making sure that Little One is getting itself in there to get some as well :)

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    She's old enough now. Boiled egg is also good. But get some chick grit or clean sand to sprinkle over the food, just a bit, to help them digest it. I sometimes take chicks away from the others for special treats. I think the others know! LOL

5. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Sounds like it had, or still has, somethin' that set it's development back a bit.
    Could it be that it's just a smaller breed, or that the breed it is develops more slowly than the others you have?

6. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    It's my only confirmed EE, so who knows what the other parents could be! It's as feisty as the rest of them, and there are a trace of wing feathers today, so that's good!

7. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    I'm so ignorant that I'd first have to ask, "What does the acronym 'EE' stand for?"
    But, I still found an older thread that may be worth lookin' over (might gain subtle clues as to how he/she oughta be lookin' as he/she grows ~'-)

--> peck here <--​

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    EE = Easter Egger, type of chicken that lays colourful eggs, like blue and green.

9. cowcreekgeek

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Thanks, and further proof of how ignorant I can be:
    Of the twenty-six chicks in my brooder right now, at least a few of 'em most probably *are* EEs. Soon as I prep the fireplace for this season's use, I'll take some pictures (they're ~ 3 weeks old now ~'-)

10. Chillychick

Chillychick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Make sure you check it's bottom. I lost one chick due to something called pasting. I didn't know what it was until it was too late. [​IMG] He was just smaller than all the rest but he had something on his bottom. It is very easy to fix if you know what's wrong. You just give it a bath. Use rubber gloves and make sure you wash your hands. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by