Tiny bantam mystery

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Snozzle, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Ok I fell in love with this mini the minute I saw him in the bantam bin at TSC and even though I have plenty babies to care for right now I had to add him to the flock.
    He is so much smaller then the rest and seems so fragile, he falls asleep in my hand all the time. Been treating him for pasty butt, but that's nothing new with the TSC chicks.
    He is black and yellow, white, with some black on the beak and he has clean orange legs. My guess is silver Sebright or Japanese maybe? Whatever he is he makes my heart melt. I'm starting to think so that there may be something wrong with him. Doesn't seem to be a disease, he just has an odd shape and isn't perky like the others and his proportions are just a bit 'off', possibly a defect of sorts I'm thinking. But let's see how he does, they got chick saver in their water and good food. The last one I thought wasn't going to make it is the craziest of the bunch now.

[​IMG]

Not dead, just very sleepy
    [​IMG]

Here he is with the other babies as a size comparison
    [​IMG]

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I don't know what kind he is but he is DEAR! Good luck!

3. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    My daughter, who is looking over my shoulder, says, "I don't know what it is...but I WANT it!!"

mm

4. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Oh no, I just went in there and he must have just died, I had just checked on them a few minutes earlier and he was sleepy, but not breathing heavy or showed any other signs that he may be getting ready to die. He had a full tummy and his pasty butt was clearing up. I'll never even know what he was. I always fall in love with the ones that don't make it [​IMG]

5. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Aw - so sorry about your little one! At least he got some love in his short time here :(

6. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    OH NO! im so sorry! [​IMG]

7. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Thank you everyone!
    I think I did figure out what he was after all, I came across a pic of a black japanese bantam chick that looked just like him. Once we move to our new place and get set up for the birds I think I will try to hatch some on my own as soon as I get my incubator back from my friend or my silkies get old enough to go broody. There is a local lady who raises them. I'm sad that he is gone, but the others are doing great, so I'm happy about that. There is yet another one in the mix I'm unsure about, yellow with red blotches, clean orange legs. I thought it was another cochin when I picked him, because I have an older one that looked just like that, but I didn't see the legs until later. I may post pics in the next few days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by