Tiny bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FrogDoc, Jul 19, 2011.

1. FrogDoc

FrogDoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    We got two groups of chicks this spring.. one was considerably bigger than the other. The smaller ones are growing VERY slowly but they're growing. However, there's one that looks like it did the day we got it. It's about the size of a starling and was probably hatched three months ago. What gives? It seems healthy otherwise. [​IMG]

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    maybe it's a bantam? [​IMG] could you post pictures please

3. FrogDoc

FrogDoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    I'll try tonight. Some of our other birds are bantams, but they tower over PeeWee!

4. Mamahalo

Mamahalo Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Could be a vitamin deficiency that is causing malnourishment. I have a tiny bird as well, Around one month she had a stroke and just stopped growing like the others. 13 weeks and looks like she did at 5 weeks. I think she eats twice as much as the others so she isn't scrawny, but she's not getting enough nutrition. I supplement her sometimes with doses of sav-a-chick and scrambled eggs. It seems to have worked a bit, but she still has trouble walking.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    PeeWee might be a Jersey Giant chick...they are slow growers, or might be a runt. If they are eating and drinking normally, including PeeWee, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by