Tiny "blood?" spots on eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by livin-green, Oct 30, 2008.

1. livin-green

livin-green Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    Hey, guys--I'm still kinda' new to this chicken thing, and my hens have only been laying 2 months. I have had a few blood spots (or meat spots--not really sure what those are??) inside my eggs. One had a pinkish "white" instead of clear, but for the most part all have been fine. I have had a no shell and a very thin-shelled. And, I have passed the panic over some blood smeared on the shell.

Now, my questions is this. On my brown egg layers (Cochin & Brahma), I have been getting a beautiful array of browns, even some speckled ones...?? I have found several eggs that had a dark speckle to them, like a robin's egg or something. I just assumed it was normal and haven't worried about it--they were beautiful eggs.

Anyway, the other day I was wiping one off with a damp papertowel--had poo on it--and saw what looked like a blood-tinged spot on the paper towel. I wiped a little harder and, sure enough, all those lovely little speckles are actually blood.

So, to wrap up this long post (sorry!), my questions is this--Is this normal for young layers or is there a problem? Could they have a Vitamin A deficiency, or is that only for blood spots inside the egg?

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm getting the same thing from one of my brahmas. My understanding of it from the experts here is that it's normal in young layers.

3. livin-green

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    That is kinda' what I expected, but I didn't just want to assume and do nothing. Seems a little strange that they both could be Brahma (mine could be the Cochin). I wonder if that is just something typical of that breed...??

Anybody else having this problem??

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I dunno. I have 16 hens - all brahmas - and I'm pretty sure only one is doing that. I also have one that lays the longest, narrowest eggs I've ever seen. Makes me feel sorry for her every time.

5. livin-green

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    Yeah, I've got a leghorn that lays really long eggs--boy, are they weird looking....almost as weird as the ones I get from one of my Cochin or Brahmas that is almost perfectly round!! OUCH!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by