Tiny bugs in the nesting box

Platy04

Chirping
Jan 24, 2016
There are a bunch of tiny grey bugs in and around the hen's nesting box. They don't seem to be harming my chickens but they make collecting eggs an annoying task. Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?

Get a magnifying glass and a sample of the bugs. It will help you identify your bugs. Without us being able to see them, it's hard to tell. You can always treat for mites, and deep clean the coop just in case. There are less toxic options if you are worried about chemicals.

I like permethrin 10. Comes in 8 oz liquid. Mix 1 oz to 1.5 gallon water and spray (hand or pump sprayer) your birds and coop. Take all liter and nesting material out, spray entire surface of coop and let air dry before putting litter back in later in day. In 7 to 10 days spray birds and coop again-I don't think there is a need to take out the liter second time around.

Oh, and it sounds like mites to me too.

There are a bunch of tiny grey bugs in and around the hen's nesting box. They don't seem to be harming my chickens but they make collecting eggs an annoying task. Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?
Need pics...or you need to do some research to find out what kind of bugs they are as @dunnmom suggests. Knowing your location may help too.

Get a magnifying glass and a sample of the bugs. It will help you identify your bugs. Without us being able to see them, it's hard to tell. You can always treat for mites, and deep clean the coop just in case. There are less toxic options if you are worried about chemicals.
YES!! this^^^^
Google lice and mites images to help you ID what you are dealing with.

There are so many kinds of insects, most are of no threat to chickens,
no reason to poison every bug you see.

About the only place I use DE is in the bottom of the nests,
cramming all the cracks and crevices with it,
to deter any insects setting up housekeeping there.

Back
Top Bottom