tiny bumpy deposits on shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LAUrbanChicken, Mar 28, 2015.

1. LAUrbanChicken

LAUrbanChicken New Egg

May 21, 2011
    Hi Everyone! Any idea what causes these deposits on the eggs shell? I have 4 chickens and this is the only hen that seems to have this issue. She is a year old Cream Legbar. I have one other Cream Legbar with no issues. Thanks for you help!

[​IMG]

2. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    It's just excess calci deposits. One of my hens always has a few of those "moles" (I call them) on one end of hers. Usualy the pointy end. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Are you offering them calcium in a seperate dish than there food?

3. LAUrbanChicken

LAUrbanChicken New Egg

May 21, 2011
    I've been mixing it into their feed on occasion, around once a month or so. I thought it might be calcium but I was a bit concerned seeing how this was the only hen with an issue. I'm relieved to hear it's not a serious issue, thanks!

4. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    I wouldn't mix it in with there feed. Seperate bowls and they will eat it as they need it. You can also save there egg shells and give it back to them. I don't even buy calcium anymore cause mine all lay and I use that

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, it's not a good idea to mix it in with their feed. Oyster shell offered free choice from its own container is the best way for a hen to satisfy her calcium needs. Mixing it into the food is much too random, and can easily result in either too much calcium in a hen's system or a calcium deficiency because she's unable to satisfy her own individual need.

A hen will crave calcium when she needs it, and she will be attracted to the oyster shell to satisfy her need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by