Tiny chick picks down feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Georgia Nana, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Georgia Nana

Georgia Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    I have a new "flock" of assorted chicks that are a week and a half old, and one tiny (but Very active) Speckled Sussex makes it her business to pluck the down feathers that the others are losing...systematically, all day each day!
    The others don't seem to mind unless she grabs one that is not ready to turn loose!
    My first thought was that she was lacking something in her diet (Nutrena Start n Grow), but the other 22 are not engaging in this interesting behavior.

Any thoughts on why she may be doing this?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Nope...lol...no idea! [​IMG] Some chicks, just like some babies/toddlers, are more handsy/grabby than others. Some chicks grab at tiny toes, some peck at tiny eyes, you have one that grabs at feathers. If it's still happening a week or two from now (more than just every once in a while), then you might post again for suggested solutions. For now, assuming the other chicks aren't actually being hurt, I wouldn't worry too much...

3. Georgia Nana

Georgia Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    Thanks! She's still hard at work...all on the little emerging tail and wing areas, and only on the down feathers! Hoping she'll lay with the same determination![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by