tiny chick questions...pasty butt and choking on food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunket77, May 21, 2011.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I have the tiniest chicks we have ever had! Our last batch of japanese are serama size [​IMG] so we are new to teeny tiny chicks. Most of the eggs I set I was fascinated by how small the eggs where so I just had to see if they would hatch and ...they did! all but two. Today I realized one had pasty butt so I cleaned it with a wet wipe and now the vent looks to be protruding. Like it's either constipated or has prolapse ??? I don't know what to do, I put it back in with the others for now.

Then after I put some feed in (chick starter) the little piggies ate like they hadn't eaten today (they had only just then ran out of food) and a couple of them are acting like they are choking and I can see food in their throat. They keep stretching their neck and opening their mouth.... is their food to big? do I need to grind it up more for them? Thanks in advance!!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Whenever I clean off pasty butt the vent seems to protrude some. Then it kind of goes away. I don't know why.

The biggest problem is that the others always try to peck it after the wash. So I use Pick No More lotion on them whenever I wash them.

The food issue I have no idea on. I don't have serama sized chickens.

3. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:where can you get pick no more lotion? we've been dabing a little olive oil on our pasty butted silkie in hopes that it will help the poop quit sticking.

4. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    With little bantams I always grind their food for a week to 10 days and then gradually add in some ungrinded. It just seems easier for them to peck at.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

ginger c. :

Quote:where can you get pick no more lotion? we've been dabing a little olive oil on our pasty butted silkie in hopes that it will help the poop quit sticking.

I buy it from the feed store, but you can find it online too.

I buy Rooster Booster Pick No More Lotion. Also they have black salve, but I have it the cabinet and haven't tried it. You might just see what your feed store carries.

Some like to use Blu Kote to discourage pecking, too. But I have no experience with it.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by