Tiny Chick Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nancypo, Jun 17, 2011.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Since I had 2 new babies, almost 3 weeks, and it's finally warming up, I kept thinking about how to build a portable, temporary chick tractor, to last a month or so. AND, this is SUPERVISED only!!! I sit in a chair right next to the 2 girls. This is merely a way to get them used to being outside and be able to see and be on the ground. This is not for protection (my job), but to contain them.

Here's what I came up with- I created a frame using a cardboard box. Cut out the bottom and 2 "windows" on 2 sides. Covered the sides and top with garden bird netting (NOT aviary netting). Stapled with regular staples on the outside of the box. Went over the top, and cut in an opening large enough for me to easily reach in. All done! Here's some photos of Ellie and Buffy's first field trip, they loved it!!! Took a dust bath and pecked happily, and Rosie, the hen, checked them out too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    They look very happy in their tiny chick tractor. [​IMG]

3. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Thanks and it was cheap! Free!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Looks like a little chicken television set... [​IMG] Good job - reused and recyclable [​IMG]

5. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Yes! Just like 90% of the coop:)

[​IMG]

6. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Awww.....Sweet little peeps!
    Enjoying the sunshine did they?!
    Great idea. Perfect for their size right now. Hey, maybe they could "move up" to a dishwasher box....then a washing machine/dryer box....then a fridge box on it's side.....LOL!

7. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Yes, I had thought of that too! When they're bigger they'll graduate to the enclosed garden area- [​IMG]

then the coop...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by