Tiny deposits on egg

ChickenDuBravac

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
I just found this egg with what look like deposits of tiny bug eggs. Has anyone seen this before and know what it could b?

Attachments

• 2A923748-81C4-4423-97B4-B08D6C731E39.jpeg
    2A923748-81C4-4423-97B4-B08D6C731E39.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 98CE41A6-AC18-4683-85F6-8F7917CD5780.jpeg
    98CE41A6-AC18-4683-85F6-8F7917CD5780.jpeg
    611.8 KB · Views: 1
This looks like excessive calcium deposits and i’ve read where it might be caused by lack of water. I have one hen which has these deposits it feels like it would be very very painful some of the deposits are very sharp and I imagine it hurts! but i’ve heard excessive calcium.

If they have access to plenty of fresh water, the next place to look would be their source(s) of calcium. What kind of feed are you giving your flock and what are the sources of calcium? Is there any added calcium being forced in the feed or is it free of choice?

I just found this egg with what look like deposits of tiny bug eggs. Has anyone seen this before and know what it could b?
If it is excess calcium deposits.. sometimes also caused by a defective shell gland.. if not nutrition related or new layer hiccup.

What is age of bird and feed routine including treats and supplements?

See if this article helps at all..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

But also.. have you tried to peel any off and see if they "pop" like tiny bug eggs might?

Looks like a really cool designer egg!
(once health concerns are ruled out of course.)

If it is excess calcium deposits.. sometimes also caused by a defective shell gland.. if not nutrition related or new layer hiccup.

What is age of bird and feed routine including treats and supplements?

See if this article helps at all..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

But also.. have you tried to peel any off and see if they "pop" like tiny bug eggs might?

Looks like a really cool designer egg!
(once health concerns are ruled out of course.)
Lol, that shape is quite amazing 😂. The egg comes from one of 3, 2 of which r new laying Australorps and one a 3 year old RR.

Upon further inspection and research I believe they r calcium deposits. I scratched them off and they more or less crumbled. No popping. Thx for your insights!

I just read the comment about lack of water. That could b it, cuz their water was virtually gone when I checked it yesterday. 😬. They went through that water faster than expected.

Back
Top Bottom