Tiny egg -- how soon can pullets lay eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by noelalala, Jun 17, 2011.

1. noelalala

noelalala Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    We found a 1 inch long egg in a nesting box!!!

We have several laying hens, just over a year old, and 3 pullets that are only 11 weeks old.
    We also have a hen who's small b/c she's a cross beak Americauna -- she can't eat as well as the other hens, and she gets picked on.
    I'm not actually sure she lays eggs, so maybe this one could be hers???

I can't help but suspect one of the 11 week old pullets, but that just seems so young!!!

Who is the more likely layer of this cute little egg -- an 11 week old pullet? or our small, possibly undernourished hen?

Thanks,
    : )
    Noel

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    It was the older girl . I've gotten a few of those from my hens.[​IMG]

3. Momturtle

Momturtle New Egg

Nov 23, 2008
    We sometimes get tiny little eggs mixed in with the others. They seem random and some are even strangely shaped - had a 1 inch high snowman egg once. The kids always called them fairy eggs, said the fairies laid them hoping the hens would hatch them out. We save them in a little basket where they dry out and keep forever.

4. noelalala

noelalala Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Thanks so much to both of you!
    That makes sense --
    the timing was just right to make us really scratch our heads and wonder about those young girls.
    I feel better now knowing they're not growing up too fast!
    : )
    Noel

5. kdmburnett

kdmburnett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    me too! about three weeks ago i found a (very) small egg and then another a week later and then two, one brown like the others, and one green in the same day! my hens are 18 month's old and have been laying fine, but production is down since winter, and these little eggs are curious.........

6. Chickens_in_a_nutshell

Chickens_in_a_nutshell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Montana
    <squints> Where's the egg? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by