1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

tiny egg / no yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by delfargo, Jun 10, 2011.

1. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

so, i went out to the coop last night to collect eggs and, much to my surprise, i find this tiny little egg in one of the nest boxes. this egg wasn't even an inch and a half long. about twice the size of a robin's egg. cute little thing, but i wasn't about to eat it. i cracked it open out of curiosity and found it hard to break open as the membrane was very thick. once i did finally get it cracked open... surprise surprise - no yolk! wierd little egg. i hope it was just a freakish once-in-a-lifetime egg.
    i read in my chicken book (story's guide) that these eggs are pretty rare for hens as old as mine (1 year old next week).
    anyone else get these from time to time?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    I got one very similar to yours a few months back - when my girls were about 10 months old. Tiny little egg, no yolk - seemed fine otherwise. It is the only one I have gotten like that and the girls have been laying since November of last year.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I got one as a first egg from a pullet two days ago. They are called "fart" or "wind" eggs. Sometimes there is just a hiccup in their systems and they show up.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yep. In 2 1/2 years, I have only had one fart egg.

BTW....if you have kids, don't call it a fart egg in front of them. My boys went on and on about it - drove me nuts.

5. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    I get them pretty regularly from one of my RIRs. She seems to be the "rooster" of the group and I had heard the boss hen often won't lay eggs at all. I would say I get a couple a month from her. She lays normal ones as well. Funny.

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire

BTW....if you have kids, don't call it a fart egg in front of them. My boys went on and on about it - drove me nuts.

yes, wind egg just fine, my lil brother thought it was hilarious, he called the hen who laid it "aurora the farting chicken" sheesh [​IMG]

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida

yes, wind egg just fine, my lil brother thought it was hilarious, he called the hen who laid it "aurora the farting chicken" sheesh [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

I get one every other week or so from my Silkie. It is all she ever lays. Less than an inch long and no yolk. i even have pictures comparing her eggs to a normal Silkie egg. See!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by