TINY egg today! Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dfdesigns, Dec 2, 2010.

1. dfdesigns

dfdesigns Indigo Ridge Farm

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    My two Barred Rocks have been laying for about a month and a half now. I keep pretty detailed egg records, and they lay a 1.7 oz to 1.8 oz egg almost daily. Today I saw one of them come off the nest, and she'd laid a tiny egg - I weighed it, and it's only 0.7 oz. (Looks otherwise normal; just very small!)

I would have been excited and thought I'd had another layer, but since I saw the BR in the nest, I know it's hers. Does this happen every once in awhile? Before today, the smallest egg either of them laid was 1.5 oz.

Thanks!

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

3. dfdesigns

dfdesigns Indigo Ridge Farm

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    A FART egg?!? I'm dying over that! [​IMG]

4. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Yep, that is funny. I get one of those every now and again. I have one now that has been sitting on my counter for a while. When you crack it open it most likely have just the white in there. I have also had one with a tiny bit of yoke to. They are super cute though.

5. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    It's even possible to get one of those little ones inside of a regular egg. My favorites as a kid were the soft shell and double yolkers..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by