Tiny egg with red blob in middle but no yellow yolk. Huh??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by princesslayer, May 12, 2010.

1. princesslayer

princesslayer Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    So what was it??.

OK I'm a novice at all this. We've had the hens about 6 months and all seems to be fine, all laying up a storm. We don't have a rooster but there are always male pheasants lurking about. Could it have been a 'fart egg'? or was it a pheasants egg in our coop? Do pheasants cross with hens? I didn't think they could?
    We've had just whites tiny eggs before a couple of times.

Also one of our hens seems to lay two tone eggs. i.e dark brown at one end and pale brown at the other. Is this like 'normal'??

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

To your first q, it was probably a bit of blood or a meat spot that the body started treating as a yolk so thus made the egg around it.

There are lots of egg variations so don't worry! Dual tone eggs are not unheard of.

3. princesslayer

princesslayer Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Thanks for that. Was worried I had murdered a baby!

Also some of our eggs are speckly but will wash clean. What is the stuff on the outside? Dark dried blood or something? If it's blood does this mean it hurts the chook to lay it? One of the hens makes a hell of a racket every time she lays one.

4. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Chooks always make a huge racket when they lay----I think folks on here call it the egg song---its just sort of a song/dance that they do to show how clever they are!
    And Im not sure about the blood thing, but chook eggs generally have an anti-bacterial layer on them---called the blossum or something---that comes off when you wash the eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by