1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tiny egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Becky388, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Becky388

Becky388 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2015
    maine
    [​IMG]
    So the tiny egg appeared today. The flock has been laying for about six months and this is the first time getting such a small egg. Normal? Indications of bigger problem?

2. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    If you get many of them I would worry about it... But I would call this a simple fluke in the egg laying track and not be too concerned. Perhaps one of the birds you own has taken a lengthy break during this winter.

3. Becky388

May 14, 2015
    maine
    We are actually getting quite a chuckle from it. Hopefully it is an isolated incident.

4. sabrina11

sabrina11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    Are you sure you have no bantams?

5. sarahandjay

sarahandjay Chillin' With My Peeps

I got one of those last week. My youngest asked me why i brought in a rock. Have your opened it yet? Ours had no yoke and so far it has only been that one time.
    My understanding is that sometimes its just a hiccup in the system.

6. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Becky388

May 14, 2015
    maine
    @Sabrina, positive there are no bantams. There is one RIR that has a few issues though.

@sarahandjay - No, we haven't opened it yet. I plan to include it in the next dozen eggs I give to my brother.

8. sarahandjay

sarahandjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats great!! Are you going to make him open the carton in front or just wait for the phone call!!! :lau

9. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    You need to video cracking it open! Lol you should film his reaction as well, you should tell him it's a rooster egg... Just played that trick on someone the other day [​IMG].

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Happens on occasion...often called a fairy egg, wind egg, fart egg, rooster egg...can have no yolk or nothing but yolk or relative amounts of both yolk an white.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by