Tiny egg!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stephine, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    I found a teeny tiny egg today among our regular crop of normal sized eggs. I was so surprised - I thought all of our hens were laying already! We have a motley crew of brahmas (3), rir, speckled Sussex, glw, barred rocks and welsummers (2 each), all hatched late last March, early April. We got the first eggs in November and they have been laying well all through the winter with about 7 eggs a day, and now with Spring coming we have come up to about 9 a day. I thought to get that many eggs from hens that aren't the super layer breeds all of them would have to be laying already. But then today we got this teeny egg! Could one of them just be coming into lay now? Or do hens lay a tiny egg sometime? Thanks!![​IMG]

2. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Could be either new layer or random, but if 9 is the most you have gotten from 13 hens I suspect new layer. You sound reasonable in not expecting large numbers but with 13 hens I would expect 13 some days and 4 others and average maybe 9.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably a glitch.

4. BIggoMamma

BIggoMamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    I got one also, a tiny egg just like yours. I also have some just coming into egg laying age and they are also welsummers. Coincidence? IDK. But I only got one tiny egg it was so cute.

5. ceceuu

ceceuu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    One time I found a wild bird egg in the chicken nest. Never figured out what kind, how or why. Just a mystery. I have a covered coop and run but sometimes small birds get in.

6. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    There are wild birds that specifically lay their eggs in other nests to get other mothers to care for their young.

7. ceceuu

Mar 5, 2014
    Yea I wondered if it was a cow bird. Still not sure. It was brown with white spots.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. ceceuu

Mar 5, 2014
    I thought of that. It was brown with white spots.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  9. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Thanks everyone!
    It is definitely not a wild bird's egg, it looks just like a chicken egg only tiny. My guess is it's a glitch, I haven't seen any other dark smallish eggs since...

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Have you opened it up yet?
    Tiny immature ova released showing as tiny pale yolk,
    or a tiny piece of tissue can break off, make it's way down and the rest of the system finishes packaging it up.

I think that is covered in this video:
    Egg Formation Video

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by