Tiny Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barb Root Hinkkanen, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Barb Root Hinkkanen

Barb Root Hinkkanen Chirping

Aug 19, 2017
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Today Penelope laid two eggs. One was tiny! She’s very healthy and happy. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. HenHouse4Life

HenHouse4Life GrandmaOnDuty

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    A fairy egg!!! Yes, this does happen. Just yesterday one of my EE's gave me a blue one

Chelsa'sChicks likes this.
  3. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    How long has she been laying? Young pullets may intermittently lay small eggs at first. Regardless of age it does happen occasionally, shouldn't be an issue.

4. Chelsa'sChicks

Chelsa'sChicks Songster

Aug 16, 2017
    I have hens that started laying eggs last year and they laid these "fairy" or "fart" eggs, but they also did it again this year lol .. all my birds are healthy.

5. DanEP

DanEP Songster

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Yep this is normal. Some girls will lay these on occasion for most of their lives it is just more prevalent when their young. It's nothing to worry about tho.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you positive both eggs came from the same bird?
    Pretty hard for the shell gland to do hard shelled 2 eggs in a day.

How old is Penelope, and how long as she been laying?
    Do you have other birds?

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with new or older layers. Open them up and see what's inside.

Think it's explained in this excellent video:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: