TINY egg?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Faenauliel, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Faenauliel

Faenauliel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    So.... I went to gather the eggs today and received the oddest gift! I can identify the egg on the left as one that I typically get from my American game hens & the one in the middle as from my Silky hen.... But the one on the right has me confused! I do have several pullets that were hatched in late April which are half Silky and half game hen, but I was under the impression that they would still be too young to lay! I am baffled! Does anyone know what the heck I'm dealing with?

[​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's nothing to worry about these eggs are usually layed by young pullets they are called "fart eggs".

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Fart egg lol love em, I hope I get one someday so I can keep it. I guess a lot of the time they are empty

1 person likes this.
  4. Trillium233

Trillium233 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Ohio
    I had two or three wee eggs like that when the birds we bought last year first began to lay. Here's a picture of one next to a dime and a regular egg for comparison;

[​IMG]

Sometimes, as a young chicken's egg-laying bits and parts first get going, the first couple of eggs come out like this. Any time this has happened with my birds the wee egg had no yolk.

-I did get another one this size after the birds had been laying for quite a while, (it did have a wee yolk) but this was likely just a fluke, as it never happened again. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

I'm guessing you've either just got one weird egg for some reason, or your younger girls are trying to lay their first eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Faenauliel

Faenauliel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    That's hilarious! That's exactly what my son called it--an egg fart!

I had NO idea that pullets were capable of laying at 4 months old! :p

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    It's rare but it happens, enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by