Tiny Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ClareScifi, Mar 8, 2014.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Has anyone ever had a 2 1/2 year old Leghorn hen who had been laying perfect eggs all of a sudden one day lay a tiny yolkless egg and then stop laying altogether?

2. Yes. Some leghorns fade fast.

Is she in the beginning of a molt? Was it a wind or fart egg?

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    She's not in the beginning of a molt, and it looked like a regular egg, with a hard shell, super tiny and yolkless. She turned 2 at the end of September. Seems odd that after laying perfect eggs she would all of a sudden lay a tiny egg and no more? Wouldn't there be a more gradual wind-down? I'm worried it could be an infection or peritonitis or something? I read when an older hen lays a fart egg it is usually a bit of reproductive tissue that has come loose and has been made into a tiny egg, but I would think it wouldn't keep her from ever laying another egg, unless there is a medical problem of some sort? It has me really worried...

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Also, she's not a full leghorn. She's half Buff Orpington or some other breed that resulted in shiny golden feathers around her neck. Maybe Brahma.

Her same-age sisters, a half legorn/half RIR is still laying well, as is my Silver-Laced Sebright Bantam of their same age, and their 4 year old Barred Rock Stepmama. It really has me puzzled and concerned.

I wonder whether the rooster could have mated with her inside the coop and pushed her into something hard like wood or a brick, damaging her reproductive system?

5. I understand she is a mix. I was just focusing on the leghorn trait of tapering off fast.

Many things other than age can effect a hen to stop laying. Diet, a disease, parasites, stress ect. I really don't have a diagnosis for ya. But I do hope you find out.

Peritonitis can be seen by the "large" featherless protrusion sticking out of their bottom. You would be able to see and feel this large lump. I don't believe your rooster is the cause of this in any shape or form. Just my thoughts though. I have seen a few softball sized bald butts and the are easily noticeable.

6. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Do you think she might need extra protein? She loves yogurt, scrambled egg, and eggshells.

7. Extra protein is always welcomed by most chickens. It does seem to help them in growth and in recovery.

When is the last time she was wormed?

8. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I had the chickens' poop analyzed for worms, and there was none in it. But maybe they didn't see any. I've had my Barred Rock for 4 years and never had a problem with worms. I suppose it could be something new, but wouldn't the other hens likely be affected, as well?

9. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I have never actually 'wormed' my chickens. I am scared of chemicals and products and such. I do give them Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water, and I have used D.E. in their bedding to prevent mites/parasites. I did use a dusting product in their scratching/bathing dirt once, but it scared me. They have seemed to stay very healthy, nonetheless.

10. DE ingested is a maintenance you can provide to help your hen. But "if" she has a bout of worms you would have to use a wormer or 2 to be effective and help her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by