Tiny Eggs - Two in One Day!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chez Poulet, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Chez Poulet

Chez Poulet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Harstine Island, WA
    The first one is from a Derbyshire Redcap next to a normal sized one. The second is from an EE who lays a jumbo size every day and her tiny one is next to her normal one.

Two in one day out of 16 chickens kind of has me worried a bit if there is a diet issue. Just chance that I got two in one day? I've never seen one before, but doesn't mean they didn't lay any and I just missed them. All my hens were all born end of April.

Cute, huh?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Blue one of my Redcaps. Isn't she beautiful? Spend a lot of time with a Redcap and you'll get a nice pet. All four of my girls are a little skittish, but love to be pet and sit in my lap for a good cuddle.

2. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Hey fellow Washingtonian! [​IMG]

I've heard these are called yolk-less eggs and that they are rare, but normal. Odd that you got two in one day... hopefully someone else will come along soon with more answers...

3. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    She is beautiful. I wish Iknew what to tell you about the eggs. It has been dark here the last day or so. Good to see another islander. Where is Harstine Island?

4. Chez Poulet

Jun 1, 2008
    Harstine Island, WA
    Harstine Island is above Olympia and is technically Shelton, but it's so far out in the county, it's like another world. Only about 500 out of 1000 homes are occupied during the winter. It's really nice and quiet and since we're surronded by water, the island doesn't get as chilly as the mainland.

I've read from other posts that people have had yolks in theirs. I haven't cracked mine open yet, the novelty of their tiny-ness hasn't worn off yet. I've read that they're called: Rooster, ghost, witches, fart and wind eggs. The chickens are pets, I don't care if they lay or not, that's just a nice bonus. They all act like dogs and cats, so I call them chuppies or chittens.

I was laughing with some friends how I'm going to have to ask Barbie if we can borrow her omlet pan.

5. UrbanChickenMama

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Chez Poulet

Jun 1, 2008
    Harstine Island, WA
    UrbanChickenMama,
    I'll be close to Vancouver on Friday, gonna pick up my standard poodle pup in La Center. Will be fun to see how the chix react to their new pet.

7. UrbanChickenMama

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Very cool! I bet that pup will be ADORABLE! Do post pics! I'm in Olympia at least twice a year for business. I bet the real question will be how will the poodle do with the chuppies!

Sounds like you have a pretty nice location there. I'm always scoping out places I'd like to be in 5 years... somewhere out of the middle of the rat-race where I can have MORE CHICKENS! [​IMG]

8. Chez Poulet

Jun 1, 2008
    Harstine Island, WA
    Still affordable out here. You can get 5 acres for a good price, just depends on how much the owner wants to let the house go for. Don't know too many chicken people around here, but my neighbors buy my eggs for a song. The extra money keeps the girls in organic feed. Long drive to anywhere, 2 hrs. to Seattle, 1.75 hrs to SeaTac, 1 hr to Olympia, 2 hrs. to Portland if you drive fast. I want to expand the chix operation a bit with some more fancy birds, so I'm glad I have the space for almost anything I want to feed and no one to really complain about noise and smells.

9. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Love those pink eggs!!! [​IMG]

10. Chez Poulet

Jun 1, 2008
    Harstine Island, WA
    Thanks! They're actually a peach color. They're a grade small egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by