Tiny eggs?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarkerChickens, Mar 1, 2008.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We have 6 pullets that are about 4.5 months old (3 EEs and 3 barred rocks). A couple days ago, my DB found 4 little eggs in one of the nest boxes. They are all green so we know that it was one of the EEs. But they are tiny! They are about half the size of regular eggs. They look normal and everything is proportional for its size. Then, yesterday DB found 2 more. Either one laid two (which we of course doubt) or two of our EEs are laying. Isn't this early? And how long before we get normal eggs? DB jokes that if they stay this size it'll take a dozen to make us omlette's in the morning! (The small eggs are the cutest things ever though!)

2. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Are you sure they aren't Bantams? I'm sorry I had to ask.

4.5 months is really early, but I would not complain. Pull up a chair and enjoy your breakfast. Mine started to lay the reguslr size but some do start out small.

[​IMG]

3. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I posted some pictures of our chickens on flickr to show you. The pictures were taken when they were only 2.5 months old....2 months ago. They are a LOT bigger now. I've never seen a bantam, but I've seen standards before and ours look like standards to me. To me they were big in that picture for 2 months old if they were bantam chickens, right? Those pics are more the size of what full-grown banty's would be right? Like I said they are bigger that that now. I will try to get some current pictures.

Also...ignore the dates on them. They were taken 12/29/07...I just never changed the date on the camera.

http:[email protected]/

4. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    My mom came over and looked at our chickens. She had both standards and banty's growing up. She said ours are most definitely standards. Hmm...guess a couple are just laying early. I am sure the eggs will get bigger as the chickens finish maturing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by