Tiny had blood coming out of her vent?

Kittkatt0

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2021
hello! Tiny, a chicken that survived a raccoon attack months ago has been stuck with an illness. She seems to be one of my unluckiest chickens. Well back to the subject at hand right now. yesterday she was lethargic, not talking like she usually is, eating when presented with food, and staying still and hiding from the others. yesterday I also saw a yellow, liquid-like substance stuck to her feathers near her vent. She now still is lethargic maybe a bit more talkative but now she has a bloody, almost watery-like (as if the blood was diluted with water) substance coming out of her vent. Her vent does not look like it was pecked at. Does anyone know what this might be?

hello! Tiny, a chicken that survived a raccoon attack months ago has been stuck with an illness. She seems to be one of my unluckiest chickens. Well back to the subject at hand right now. yesterday she was lethargic, not talking like she usually is, eating when presented with food, and staying still and hiding from the others. yesterday I also saw a yellow, liquid-like substance stuck to her feathers near her vent. She now still is lethargic maybe a bit more talkative but now she has a bloody, almost watery-like (as if the blood was diluted with water) substance coming out of her vent. Her vent does not look like it was pecked at. Does anyone know what this might be?
Most likely coccidiosis. @Wyorp Rock @azygous @6BeachChicks @cherrynberry

262134798_1227294054433632_359757455533668818_n.jpg

262108241_3050861171820507_4867634422963509448_n.jpg

262019317_1311238666002537_8780066693421382993_n.jpg

-some photos-

Location please. Where are you on the planet? Has your weather been hot and wet?

How old is this hen? Has she been laying regularly? Any problems with egg quality? Soft, shell-less, thin shells?

If this hen has been laying recently, it may be a ruptured egg. Give her a calcium tablet, preferably calcium citrate, one whole tablet directly into her beak. She won't choke. It will slide right down into her crop. This will help with contractions to push the egg remains out, if this is her problem.

Location please. Where are you on the planet? Has your weather been hot and wet?

How old is this hen? Has she been laying regularly? Any problems with egg quality? Soft, shell-less, thin shells?

If this hen has been laying recently, it may be a ruptured egg. Give her a calcium tablet, preferably calcium citrate, one whole tablet directly into her beak. She won't choke. It will slide right down into her crop. This will help with contractions to push the egg remains out, if this is her problem.
We live in Colorado where there has been a couple of cold/warmish days nothing more than 70 out here. She is only a couple of months old (almost a year) I can't really say though iv saw her act strange where she kept following and nudging another hen as she was trying to lay(almost like she was trying to lay with her?) Iv seen eggs around the place, behind an old playhouse and in it. None seemed to be one a salmon favarolle would lay though. We currently have her inside so hopefully, we can watch her better. Aswell she was wet one cold morning when I first noticed the changes

Coccidiosis shouldn't be in the picture. Too dry and cool.

You say she's a couple months old. Then you say she's almost a year. Which is it? Tell me how old she is in weeks if you can.

Pick her up and place her in your lap facing you. Reach around and locate her vent. See if two of your fingers can fit between the two knobs on each side of her vent. If only one finger fits, she isn't laying, nor is she close.

You say she was "wet one cold morning". Please elaborate on that. Exactly how long ago was this? What did you do for her when you discovered her like this? Was she wet all over her body, or just one part. Which part?

Coccidiosis shouldn't be in the picture. Too dry and cool.

You say she's a couple months old. Then you say she's almost a year. Which is it? Tell me how old she is in weeks if you can.

Pick her up and place her in your lap facing you. Reach around and locate her vent. See if two of your fingers can fit between the two knobs on each side of her vent. If only one finger fits, she isn't laying, nor is she close.

You say she was "wet one cold morning". Please elaborate on that. Exactly how long ago was this? What did you do for her when you discovered her like this? Was she wet all over her body, or just one part. Which part?
around 7 mouths ill try and find some gloves and try that sometime soon it's getting pretty late here. Her underbelly was wet and assumed it was the leaking pipe next to our stairway into the house (she usually likes to hang around there so she can eat in peace as she on the lower chickens in the pecking order) I told my parents (I'm only 16 and don't have a job) and it was on Monday this week. Although my memory is choppy so it might have been yesterday(Tuesday) I as well found an egg that might have belonged to her, after a couple of hard taps with my finger it broke, I tried this with a couple other of our hen's eggs, and did not yield the same result. When the shell broke it was as thin as 4-5 pieces of notebook paper.

Back
Top Bottom