Tiny hen with large rooster worries...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by katelk, Oct 16, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I have a tiny little lady who is a silkie/Orpington mix. She turned out so little! About half the size of my Orp hens. Do I need to worry about her running with the rest of the flock that includes a big Orp rooster? She loves following him everywhere. He is quite the gentleman. However, side by side he looks like he could crush her! I have not seen him try to mate her, but am anxious about it being possibly dangerous? Am I worried for nothing?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have a little OEG bantam hen in my flock who is very tiny, and she does very well. We have had as many as 80 chickens and roosters, all standard breeds, just got rid of about 9 cockerels recently who didn't bother her. I once saw my main rooster "mate" her, and it was so funny because she just squatted, and he didn't even do much but hover a second, and was gone. Our banty rooster is twice as big as she is, and he doesn't even bother, LOL. She is pretty fearless, much more than our silkies and d'uccles are, and they are much larger. She hangs out with the big girls and goes wherever she pleases. I think a lot depends on the individual chicken and their personality. If your rooster is calm and not rough, she should be fine. I would just keep an eye out.

3. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

This makes me feel better! She is a shockingly feisty little thing. I have seen her put some big girls in their place when I first introduced her. I am sure I am worried for nothing. She is so precious I kinda have spoiled her and made her more like a pet, which totally is something I swore I would never do with a chicken! But she gets to come in the house and get treats and always wants to be rubbed and follows me everywhere when I am in the yard lol.

4. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Little doesn't always mean they will be prey! I just got seabrights and was reading that they are fearless and that they have been "top hen" even among standards (and they are pretty small bantams)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by