tiny little mites in hen house ireland

sandraconvery

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
ireland
tiny little mite lookin things on perches in hen house thousands i cleaned it out water ect changed hay but they back again few days later are they normal? dangerous? or what are they and how do i get rid of them organically preferably. thanks sandra ireland:rolleyes:

Quote:
Are they on the chickens as well? I think if they are not on the chickens you don't have chicken mites. Some other sort of bug.

If they are on the chickens you'll need to treat them as well, and retreat in 7-10 days. Organically I've read that DE or woodash deters mites, but am doubtful they would be effective if the infestation is that severe.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Good luck

Imp

If the chickens have mites also, you'll need to dust the chickens with Sevin 5%. Then clean out the coop, remove bedding and clean out nest boxes. Then dust the coop and nest boxes with Sevin 5% also. Repeat in 10 days. When dusting the birds, make sure you don't get it in their face.

We use food grade diotamaceous earth in our coop. it will kill just about all bugs. I use it around my fruit trees to keep the ants from devouring my peaches. it works great.

thats a problem with wood products...getcha a spray bottle add the right mixture of malaithon and water, spray heavily. you will need to do this periodically. some folks use motor oil. im not a fan of using oil like that, but they say it works well, im sure it does.

they will be on the fowl too. getcha some ADAMs flea and tick spray for dogs/cats. spray on fowl. shot under each wing, on the vent, where they accumalate and under the hack feathers, top of neck.

has a good citrus smell too. works great.

Back
Top Bottom