Tiny Serama Pullet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by feedstorechick, Oct 22, 2009.

1. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    This little Serama will be six weeks old tomorrow. She weighs in a two ounces and looks more like a two week old. The purple on the back of her head is left over from the pick-stop lotion I put on her to keep the others from bullying her. I have no idea if she will stay tiny or be a late bloomer and catch up. Any ideas? [​IMG]

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

She looks about the right size for that age. My pullet is 6 weeks too [​IMG]

They are even the same colors....love my Seramas!

3. feedstorechick

Jun 30, 2009
    Here she is in a group of other Serama chicks. The others are a week to two weeks older than her. (She's in the bottom left corner of the group)
    [​IMG]

4. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I cant tell you much about young bird's weights. I never really worry about it until they are breeding age, but I have some 11 week olds that are around 6 oz if that helps--just happened to weight them recently.

She might stay smaller or she might just have weak genes. Is she really perky?

Most of the Micros I have had look about the same until about 3 months or so and then everyone starts to leave them behind as they grow.

Also had another bird that looked like that for MONTHS..
    He eventually passed on. He was still in the brooder and I was cataloging his brothers and sisters as new breeders... It was weird!

5. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Wow! You got a lot of roos in that batch! [​IMG]

6. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Oh they are so cute! [​IMG] that I don't get all roos...LOL

7. Hi! She's a cutie! Did you notice it looks like 6 boys in that pic and just the one girl?

[​IMG]
    Lisa

8. feedstorechick

Jun 30, 2009
    Yes, I've noticed that I hit the Roo Jackpot with this batch! I think out of the nine, there were only two pullets. They are so ugly at this stage, I think I'll let them all feather out before I decide which ones to keep.

9. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    I got a silkied serama that was much smaller than the others, and didn't grow as fast. I am going to go take a picture of him with the "big ones" and something else to compare. He is really small though. Maybe this one will stay small for you?

Debbie

10. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I had a Serama pullet hatching at about one third the size of her sister, and she hasn't caught up. She's still very dainty, but she's also not very typey. I'll give her til spring to decide if her small size makes her worth keeping or not.
    [​IMG]

This is how different they are at nine weeks. She is still much smaller than her sis.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by