Tiny Twinned egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azygous, Mar 8, 2012.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I found this on the poop board this morning. It's a conjoined thumb-sized egg combo with actual shell around both eggs, and both eggs have yolks. I think my Buff Brahma Joyce slipped it out during the night as it was found where she usually roosts.
    [​IMG]

2. Ethridgechixs

Ethridgechixs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Did you cook that egg? or is that what it looked like when you found it?

3. chic hens

chic hens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    wow....that is pretty amazing.
    how old is she? What do you feed her?
    I am having some egg issues that have just started in the last 2 days so I am just learning about all of the things to watch for. I have my hens on layer pellets and give them a mash every night that has rice, oatmeal, spinach, garlic, olive oil, butter milk and apples, starberries or grapes. I also keep Bragg's ACV in their water. I am trying to cover all the bases but not sure what is going on with my girls. Ugh! Chickens....they are not for the faint of heart.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Joyce gets fed the same layer feed mixed with flock raiser, along with raw carrots, cabbage, squash, and hot oatmeal and raisins on sub-freezing mornings. She's almost two years old.

The conjoined egg found its way into my coat pocket as I was cleaning, forgot it, of course, and it was squashed when I finally fished it out. It's raw. The two eggs were marble-sized.

She has laid perfect eggs up to this point. [​IMG]

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Interesting. I would guess a hiccup when the yolk got released leaving enough space between the yokes that she started to form separate eggs. Then the gap closed. Got to think on this some more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by