Tiny windows for a wee-little coop/tractor [pic]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sixpantsmaloney, Jul 8, 2008.

1. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    I'm done with the never-ending coop project that lasted 3 months (pretty amazing for a 2x4 foot little house). We only have 3 birds because we're in the middle of the city.

I thought I ventilated well enough with several small screened 3/4" holes under the roof overhang. I was mistaken and need to retrofit a window. Plus it's too dark in there and the girls don't like the dark.

The problem is most windows are way to big. And, given the coop looks better than I ever imagined, I'd like something that keeps the barn look. So I think I might have to make a miniature window out of Plexiglas unless someone else has some ideas OR a plan for making tiny windows. I even considered dollhouse windows but I don't think they'd take the Ohio winters.

Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

Yeah, so I'm just kind of stumped and trolling for ideas. I do have electricity running to the coop and could rig a small computer case fan. That might be cool (heh, I said "cool").

Cool... thanks,
    Brian

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. MrGreenJeans

MrGreenJeans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    COS
    I saw something nifty at home depot the other day and was wondering if I had a use for it. It may make more sense in a smaller scale coop such as yours - a basement "hopper" window. You might be able to find some smaller, I'm not sure - so far the smallest one I've found so far is this.

You may be able to pick one up cheaper on ebay or locally...

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd just cut a hole, firmly attach hardwarecloth from the inside (because it's on the inside, it really does need to be WELL attached), then make a hinged or sliding 'window' cover out of a small piece of plexiglas. Actually you do not need real plexiglas which can be pricey - there are cheaper alternatives at Home Depot, precut to small sizes, or if you don't mind using glass you could find a scavenged piece of windowglass or even thick picture-frame glass and just cobble together a wooden frame to suit.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would do what Pat suggested. Just cut a hole the size you want and secure a piece of hardware cloth over it. For the window, you could even use a sturdy picture frame and attach it with a hinge or hinges. The security will be coming from the hardware cloth. The window that opens will just be to block excessive air movement in very cold weather or driving rain.

5. sixpantsmaloney

Apr 21, 2008
    Yeah... I have no problems doing what you've suggested. I just don't know if I can make it look decent. This project didn't start out about looks at all but it ended up looking so much better than I'd expected that now it's a concern which is silly but what are you gonna' do?

I'm wondering if I can build a wooden frame for the plexiglas to slide into. I bought a scrap piece for $1 for price isn't an issue.

Thanks for the ideas!
    Brian

6. Titaniumcranium

Titaniumcranium Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    I used a table saw for the groove that the plexiglas slides into and to hold it onto the frame.Used 1/4"HC for screening.Works for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    As long as the cuts for the window frame are even (or somewhat even) and you paint the frame white to match the other barn trim, I think whatever you do will look great.

8. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I would have suggested you pick up a decent picture frame with glass at a thrift shop. A pair of hinges and a prop, and you're good to go. There are plenty of designs to choose from, so you could get one that looks right with the rest of your coop. A white aluminum frame would even be weather sealable to stop direcet drafts.

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I used a cheap picture frame over hardware cloth for one of my coops. It's lifts up on a hinge so it helps keep the rain out of the coop area.
    [​IMG]

10. sixpantsmaloney

Apr 21, 2008
    Okay... those are good ideas. I like the picture frame idea. I desperately want a table saw, otherwise I'd groove some wood as suggested.

Once again, thanks all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by