Tiny worms in chicken poo!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeepers210, Sep 27, 2010.

1. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    I am new to raising chickens and have only had them for two weeks. I purchased a small coop that houses three or so. I purchased three 1 year old red sex links from a farmer down the street from me. My kids love to collect the eggs every day. Today I noticed in a frech pile of poo there were several tiny white things moving in the pile of poo! What should I do? Are the eggs a danger???? Help!!

2. BCBrian

BCBrian Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    No worries, almost every animal (chickens included) have worms. Worming healthy chickens is a recipe for disaster at the worst, and futility at best - and the chickens will begin to re-acquire worms the day after you stop medicating them! Cull sick birds, and don't worry about healthy ones. In that way - you will be creating generations of birds (in the future) that will have a natural resistance to normally occurring germs, worms and disease.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The eggs should be fine; it is unusual for even a very wormy chicken to lay eggs with worms in them, and you would see them.

Are you sure they tiny white things didn't find the poo after it left the chicken?

It would be best to get them tested, but you could go ahead and worm them with Wazine followed by ivermectin, or a similar regime -- plenty of info on here about how to do it.

You could also ask the farmer if he ever worms his chickens. Some do, some don't. Actually, I would ask him before I gave worm medicine.

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:As you can see, there are varying opinions, and this is certainly a valid approach to raising chickens.

I would suggest you do some research in the emergencies section on worms, and make you own decision.

I've only wormed mine once in three years.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Worms excreted from a chicken cannot survive outside their host and quickly die. Are you sure it wasnt maggots?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:BCBrian, you live in Canada where your soil is not condusive for worms most likely. Down here in the southern states the soil is a soup for all types of internal parasites. It is hot and humid here 9 months out of the year. A worming cycle is virtually a requirement if you want healthy chickens for laying purposes unless they are permanently caged and off the ground. This is just for your information and I'm not starting a debate with anyone on here. To each their own. Most of my hens are approaching the 5 year mark (Two are 5 yrs old) with no issues whatsoever other than a regular worming cycle and I'm getting plenty eggs except during moults. I've seen what worms can do to a chicken and a $10 wormer is worth the money to save my chickens rather than culling and starting over, spending alot more that $10 IMO.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  7. -Mr.HenryRooster

-Mr.HenryRooster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    maby use some antibiotic

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    -Mr.HenryRooster :

maby use some antibiotic

Sorry, not for worms...antibiotics should be an absolute last resort for respiratory issues, infections etc...​

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It would help a lot if jeepers210 told us where he lives, at least the state or country.

10. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    I live in southern PA. I introduced the third hen about 5 days after the two because it was so much fun and we had room. Its been almost a week and that third hen hasnt laid an egg. Do you think it could because or that worm/parasite? So the eggs are safe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by