tiny Wren in Sticky Trap! Help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StupidBird, Aug 31, 2010.

1. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    The sticky traps I got for mice have now caught a tiny house wren. I freed it using copious amounts of vegetable oil. Then gently tried to rinse the grease and glue off with mild detergent/dish soap. There is now a greasy, damp angry wren in a big bucket with a little bowl of water, covered with a dish towel.

It's so tiny I'm afraid I'll crush it. I'm letting it recover, hoping it will dry off. It must not have been there long or it would have been dead, or at least unable to shriek and bite at me.

What next?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think they use Dawn dish washing liquid for the birds that get trapped in the oil spills, so I think you had the right idea. If you've washed off the oil, maybe you can just dry it a bit with a dish towel, and set it in the barn........if it's no longer sticky and oily......

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Try and soak up some of that extra oil with cornstarch, that should take care of most of it. The bird will look funny for a while, but she will feel better.

4. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    k thanks!

5. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Update:
    I tried blotting it dry, or drier, with tissues. Being afraid to hold it tightly, it greased out of my hands and is hiding under the bed. I tried to catch it, but don't want to stress it much more. Decided to turn off the light, set the water dish down there, shut the door and let it rest. I couldn't see if the one wing or leg is still glued or injured.

will keep posting. Stupid Birds.

6. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    It is more un-glued and un-oiled. Seems to have lost quite a bit of feathers. If shock doesn't set in, guess I need to nurse it a bit until flight - worthy.

I had previously learned on BYC that veg oil or peanut butter will get glue off feathers. Thank you BYC!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  7. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Well, it died in the middle of the night. Drat. Double Drat. Had some sort of seizure and that was that.

It seemed to be doing better yesterday evening; ate lots of maggots I collected from the garbage can and was energetic seeming. But it looked really bruised where the feathers were missing.

I am adding sticky traps to the list of things I will never use around here again. I liked the little house wrens that nest by the back door. I didn't expect it to live, but crap. Feel bad as I consider it my fault.

I just wanted folks here to know and maybe figure out how to prevent this. The sticky trap was under boards, on the ground, against the foundation behind the garbage can.

8. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I am so sorry, you tried your best to save it and I know that. [​IMG]

9. StupidBird

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Thanks, break an egg. I figured the chances were slim, but did what I knew.
    THINGS I NO LONGER USE:
    Sticky traps: 1 carolina wren (dead), 1 toad (dead), 1 sparrow (escaped, left feathers), lots of crickets and one lone cockroach. Zero mice or rats.
    Berry Netting: 1 brown thrasher, 1 small blacksnake (both dead), several other birds (released) - took down after 2 days.
    Mouse poison (my parents did this at their house, not me) dead mouse in the workbench, dead mouse in the wall of the freezer (which was given to me), dead mouse in the garage wall, dead mouse behind the dishwasher, dead mouse never found but smelled for eternity.

I think I'm going for removing food, shelter and water opportunities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by