TIP for adding water without openin yer 'bator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JimnJanet, Jun 26, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    I gathered up these parts around the house and my last visit to my Dr's office.

1 regular drinkin straw,a measuring cup with lip for accurite pouring, and one o' them little funnel type cone thingies that the dr. uses on his scope to look into yer ears. (minus wax) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simply remove the litte red vent plug from the bator, insert straw with little black funnel thingy down thru the hardware cloth and into the trough, then pour yer water into it. No los of heat or humids.

[​IMG]

2. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

I've done a similar thing by threading aquarium tubing through the vent hole and down into the troughs. In the 'bator I've got one going into the main "C" trough. In the hatcher I have two, one going into each of the bigger troughs around the edge. I use a syringe which fits perfectly into the exposed end of the tubing....no opening either the bator or the hatcher....

Works like a charm.

Susan

3. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Thanks for the tip! I am sure I did nasty things to my incubator's temperature when adding water. What do you guys do when getting eggs to candle?

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    OMG you went to the doctors office and get any syringes, (yes those big ones) IV sets, and extra tubing. [​IMG] I use a straw and a large 50cc syringe to add water down the vent hole. You will just have to get another appointment. Shame on you! [​IMG] They also have thermometers there too. [​IMG]

5. dr8goons

dr8goons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    VA
    when you take the red plug out to add the water through it do you leave the plug out? if not how do you keep the tube up in reach to add the funnel?

6. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

I leave the plug out.

I keep a piece of paper towel stuffed into the space around the tube. Sometimes I wet the paper towel and fill in the space between the tube and the perimeter of the plug hole if I feel the humidity is slipping.

I leave enough tubing that I can/could remove the top of the 'bator without dislodging it either from the top or from the hole in the hardware cloth.

Susan

7. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:I don't candle Lori. It jist seems un-natural to me to do such a thing. I jist don't see putin the eggs thru that unnessecary stress. If i end up with eggs that don't hatch.....infertile..they go to my dogs ater the hatch, dead chicks inside..they go my snakes after the hatch.

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I have egg turners in my bators so I pushed a hole through the lower side and fed plastic aquarium tubing through the hole and into the well. I indented the edge of the well so the top of the tubing was equal to the top of the well and put the hardware cloth over it so everything lays flat. I used duct tape on the outside to secure the tubing in the hole, and fill with a syringe. If the humidity drops, I cover the outside access tubing with a piece of duct tape. If the humidity raises, I take it off and that seems to work.

I am confused as to what the proper humidity level should be in a still air incubator. Seems everything I read is different, anywhere from 40-70%, increasing the last 3 days. Mine is at 45% - is this too low? Temp is steady at 100 - I've read anything from 99-102. What seems to be the best levels?

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I use a funnel and a length of tubing to reach the pan. Then I just pour in the water and the funnel sits on top.

10. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Jimnjanet,

I have never candled either, I thought with my next hatch I would try it. Many folks on this list candle and I wondered how they did it without severely altering the humidity and temperature. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by