Tip for Molting Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DaisyDo39, Dec 28, 2014.

1. DaisyDo39

DaisyDo39 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2014
    After some experimenting, I found a solution for feathers that have fallen off in chickens molting stage. This tip is a friendly helpful way, so you chicken does not make a big mess while she is molting. All you have to do, is get your hands on a small bag of potting soil and some rocks. Find a spot in the coop. Arrange the rocks in a circle, making sure there are no gaps between.Fill the circle up with potting soil. This gives the chickens a nice place to shed their feathers and rest. It also keeps helps all the feathers contained in one place, instead of all over!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

How do you get them to use just that one spot?

3. DaisyDo39

DaisyDo39 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2014
    I learned that they are very curious when it comes to potting soil. The potting soil is also very fluffy and light. It makes a great seating area. They just come automatically. I don't really know the logic behind that.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That certainly should work! Basically, you're providing a very attractive and enjoyable dirt bathing spot for them to unload all their loose feathers. I've noticed that mine leave a huge amount of molted feathers behind after they dirt bathe in their favorite dirt bath spot outside their run. Also, I let the chickens into my garden to glean the leftovers after I harvested in fall, and they used the planting beds as dirt baths because the soil was fluffy, dry and loose. They had begun to molt, and the beds were full of feathers afterwards.

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I see.

Mine also "bath" everywhere in their outdoor run.

The feathers just seem to disappear after a day or so...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by