Tip for moving birds/nests at night.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JimnJanet, May 3, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    I've read a few posts about moving broody hens and thier nests and it is allways suggested that it be done after dark. I have seen responses about the hens gittin all flustered when they see the flashlight so the person can see to do the moving.
    TIP: fer $15.00 @ wallyworld you can get a head lamp with an elastic band on it. It is a bright white light BUT also has a red lite. They don't look like much when yer checkin 'em out in the lights o' the store and such but when you turn these little gems on at night they are BRIGHT and so is the red lamp on them. By using the red lamp, the girl won't see the light,( most animals can't see red light), and therefore she won't git all hussy and pecky on ya but you will be able to see very well what you are doing.
    This little thing runs on 3 AAA batteries !!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

ooohhh... great idea! I've got a bunch of red LEDs that are looking for a way to be helpful. Now to go and build them into a chicken flashlight!

BTW, how do you test whether or not a chicken can see the light?

3. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:All i know Nifty Chicken is that in another life when i was a hunter. I learned that a lot of animals can't see red light..niether can nightcrawlers lol
    Anywho, Jist go out to yer coop after you build yer "chicken flashlight" [​IMG] well after dark. Shine the red one on 'em first and see what/if any reaction you get. Then shine a regular white light flashlight on 'em and note the differencs.
    If i turn the light off to my brooder at night, give 'ema few to calm back down and hit the youngins with the two different lights, i allways git a startled reaction from the white and none from the red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by