Tip for Nipple Waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jedi Clampett, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Jedi Clampett

Jedi Clampett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    I've noticed that alot of people have had problems getting the nipples to screw into pipes, buckets etc. Maybe others have noticed this too, but I haven't found it in threads so I apologize for repeating if someone else has posted this. When I bought some nipples to put in a bucket, I thought that the size and thread pattern looked familiar. Sure enough, it is exactly the same size as the hardware that lamps and lighting fixtures use. Instead of drilling your hole into the bucket a little too small and then trying to screw the nipple in, you can make the hole large enough for the threads to easily fit (3/8"), and then just put a nut from a light fixture on the back side of it. Fits perfectly!! A tiny dab of silicone on the threads doesn't hurt anything either. If you don't have old fixtures laying around, you can usually buy the nuts (cheap) at Home Depot or most hardware stores in the electrical department. Sometimes, you can even find them in solid brass if you're worried about them rusting. Hope this helps!!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: You can't do that in a piece of pipe

If they are threaded, you're supposed to TAP the holes with the proper threads, rather than just force them in

There are several different styles and different sizes of nipples, so one answer doesn't work for them all

If done the correct way, they can be removed and cleaned or replaced as needed

3. Jedi Clampett

Jedi Clampett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    I stand corrected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by