1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tip of Roosters Beak Broke Off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coopmstr1985, Nov 7, 2011.

1. coopmstr1985

coopmstr1985 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2011
    Brighton, CO
    The tip of my roosters beak has broke off. I know this is not a big issue as long as he can still pick up food. I'm not worried about the hard part of his beak that broke, as it simply broke into a smaller beak shape with a slight underbite. The problem is that the soft inner part of his beak now protrudes and looks to be seperating from the whole top part of his beak. The only thing I can think to do would be bandage it up and harden the bandages with super glue? any one else deal with this problem? Pics Coming ASAP

2. coopmstr1985

Oct 22, 2011
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG][/img]

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Coop, I can't really tell from the picture exactly what you mean. However, I think I would still be inclined to keep a good eye on it for now and let it be, unless he needs intervention in order to eat.

4. ShelleyN

ShelleyN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    My BO has a crossed bill and the large hook just snapped off. She actually looks a lot better and is getting along just fine. It snapped off so high, you could see the outer shell of the nerve bud.

5. coopmstr1985

Oct 22, 2011
    Brighton, CO
    it is the roof of his beak for lack of a better term. it is soft to semi soft tissue? basically when it broke it allowed the roof of his beak to start seperating from his beak. the outter part of his beak does look better now that it has broke off. I just dont want the roof of his beak on the inside to seperate all the way back possibly leading to infection? he doesn't have a problem eating, just the occasional piece of food that gets away.

6. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  7. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I know this is a very very old post, but i just wanted to know how your roosters beak healed. today i noticed one of my BO's beak broke off at the tip. SHe seems to be doing fine, but anything she pecks too hard at she starts to whine (the tiny bit of flesh that was exposed is too sensitive) Will my BO's beak grow back? Ive read their beaks are like our fingernails, they grow back eventually but idk. How do i take care of it? Should i clean it?

8. wyllyschickens

wyllyschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Does anyone have any suggestions? My buff brahma chickens beak accidentally got cut by my knife when she flew up onto my plate when I was eating dinner tonight ( outside). Not sure what I should do. Seems to be gingerly using her beak. Just worried. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is it cut through? You can either leave it or put a dab of super glue on it or super glue with a tea bag,i have done both. Beak injuries are very painful,try adding water to feed(so it resembles oatmeal)this will be easier for her to eat or try placing feed on a pillow or other soft object this helps to lesson impact to beak during normal pecking,i have done this with beak injuries and it works.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]
    Now she did this last summer and she is still producing egg's [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    How it should look [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by