Tippy -- My family's new foster pup

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SilverPhoenix, Dec 30, 2010.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Well, like many people on BYC, my family is heavily involved in animal rescue. I've been continuously seeing Craigslist ads lately saying how urgent one of the local shelters is with pictures of all the cute dogs, and because I adopted my corgi from this shelter a little over a year ago, I know how hard-pressed this shelter is for attention, resources, etc. All of the kennels are very cold with concrete floors, making it hard especially for the small dogs with short coats. So, off we went to bail a dog out of there. We're just fostering, but of course it's very rewarding. [​IMG]

We came home with a little chihuahua (maybe?) mix pup, around 3-5 months old. She is very thin and seems to have an upper respiratory infection. She looks larger in the pictures than she is--really she's only about 7-10 lbs, and will not be getting much bigger than she is. Once she's over her illness, spayed, and vaccinated, she'll be up for adoption. She seems very intelligent, and extremely sweet. She crawls into my lap at every chance she gets and responds well when I talk to her or whistle. She follows at my heels everywhere! I named her "Tippy" because she has little white toes and a white tip to her tail.

(Sorry for the grainy pictures, I can't find my camera so I just used my cell phone pictures.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(She's even thinner in real life than she looks in this picture. Poor little thing!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's been huddling up with a blanket since her bath when we brought her home, even though she's totally dry. Not much fur to keep her warm!

Any ideas of what sort of mix she is? Anyone in northern California or thereabouts interested in adopting in a few weeks, or know someone who might be? [​IMG] (If not interested in adopting Tippy, I highly recommend going to get a dog or cat out of the Sutter County Animal Control. They're quite full with very nice animals of all shapes, ages, and sizes... I wish I could have taken them all. [​IMG] And if you're not in northern California, take a trip to your local shelter regardless. You might just fall in love!)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    We're already at our limit of cats and dogs. But thank you for rescuing Tippy. What a cutie!

3. poconoadoptionfamily

poconoadoptionfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Hawley
    Tippy is adorable if we were closer we'd definitely be interested. Thanks for giving her a good start to her new life.

4. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Well, she looks like an italian greyhound, is she blue and white?

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Good for you.
    She's gona be a beauty when she gets some weight on her.
    She looks like she has some minn pin in her [​IMG]

6. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    When I saw her, I was thinking italian greyhound too!!! 2 cute. [​IMG]

7. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    She is going to be a gorgeous girl when she is back in good health.
    I thought she looked IG as well, not Chi.

8. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    looks like an iggy in there, but the coloring isn't right. I see no chi in there.

9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Woohoo, after I posted I was thinking italian greyhound mix, too! She certainly has the right build and is the right size. Yeah, I agree about no chi in there, too, come to think of it. I wonder what she's mixed with aside from IG? I'm trying to figure it out but it's hard to say. Min pin is a possibility. Her colors and face remind me almost of a teeny tiny vizsla! But she's way too small and petite to actually have any vizsla in her.

She has been a total sweetheart in the time I've had her so far. Not a single accident in the house, very smart and responsive (already responding to her new name, Tippy), and she's so happy to see people and wags her little tail. When I take her outside she just follows quietly at my heels, and she politely says hello to the outdoor cat. She loves to sit in laps. I wonder how this little sweetheart became a stray? She did start coughing last night so I think it is kennel cough instead of an upper respiratory infection after all. She's going for a vet check-up today after work.

Anyway, she will be loved and pampered by my family and I until she's all better and ready to go to a new home, and the right person comes along for her. [​IMG] She's such a wonderful little girl, I'll enjoy having her in the meantime!

10. GalloFino

GalloFino Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Mexico
    Aw, what a sweetheart! I'd just love to give her a cuddle. [​IMG] Good on you for fostering her, and I hope her medical issues are sorted with a minimum of drama!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by