1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tips and tricks on sexing chicks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5SweetChicks, Nov 24, 2012.

1. 5SweetChicks

5SweetChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Im not sure if there is already a fourm out there on this or not. But I'd like to have this fourm filled with tips and tricks on sexing chicks or any chicken. I sometimes have trouble sexing my chickens and I think it would be great to have a fourm filled with ways to sex your chickens on your own.

If there is already a fourm for this maybe you could kindly let me know and put a link to it.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    I looked at a thread like this the other day. It said that if you picked a chick up by the scruff of their necks, males raised their legs and females left them dangling. Of course, a lot of people disagreed on that. I think its based on luck.

3. 5SweetChicks

5SweetChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    I've heard that if you hold a chicken and flip it upside down that if their tail feathers fan out that they are hen, if not then they are a rooster. (Only works with chicks 2 months and older)

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    There are several ways to sex a chick and some are more accurate and difficult than others.. The parents need to genetically engineered to be color sexed and feather sexed.

- Color sexing (sex link chicks.. Example red chicks girl, white chicks boys ** Easiest
    - Feather sexing (different length of feathers determine sex) **Intermediate
    - Vent sexing (look into vent.. ) ** Difficult

Also there are some tell tale signs when they get a bit older like large red combs and feathering patterns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by