1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

tips for a new chicken owner

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by muscake, Nov 21, 2015.

1. muscake

muscake New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    Hi everyone , I have recently gotten 3 little silkie chicks. They are almost 4 weeks old and I've had them since they were two weeks. They are amazing I've fallen in love with the three little guys!
    They have been eating "chicken starter" only and today they had a peice of watermelon. They went absolutely crazy for it and ate it all in a few minutes. Afterwards I googled and came across a few websites saying they need grit or sand? Can someone explain this to me. Where do I get grit? Or can I just give them sand (the kind purchased at the hardware shop).
    Do I put it in with the chicken crumble?
    Thanks in advance just feeling a bit confused about it.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    Welcome! Chicks eating starter feed only don't need grit, but any with anything else added, they do need it. Your feed store will have it, and so will pet stores catering to caged birds. It will come in two sizes, so get small for the babies, and scatter it on the floor, or in a separate dish. It is NOT the same as oyster shell; don't get that now. Gravelly soil from the yard may be fine too, but offering grit will be best. Birds store small rocks in their gizzard to grind up food items. Mary

3. muscake

muscake New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    Hi folly thanks for the reply. Will get some grit for them today. So exciting thinking about all the stuff I can give them to try hehe [​IMG]

4. muscake

muscake New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by