Tips for beginner goat owners?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lucyluvchickens, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Howdy again y'all, it's our first time getting goats! (We are getting them this weekend!) [​IMG] we are so excited, but I wanted to see if y'all had any tips that we should know. Like what foods the can/can't eat, toys, sicknesses, food, housing etc. thanks y'all anything would help!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    First of all, get Storey's Guide to Raising Goats. It is a good beginner's book and it will help to answer a lot of your questions. Go to www.caprinesupply.com. and send for a catalog. The catalog not only has a good listing of goat supplies and books, but it is full of good information. Go to your agricultural extension service and see what they have for goat 4H projects. The bulletins available from the ag extension are informative and either free or very inexpensive. You might also contact the American Dairy Goat Association, www.adga.org and see if the will send you some information. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Thank you! I will look up the sites, and I will see if I can order the Storeys guide book. I do have a few of Storey's books, and I love them [​IMG]

4. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Most keepers fail to realize this, but they need free choice minerals and baking soda, depending on the mineral content of your soil

1 person likes this.
  5. EmeraldAcres

EmeraldAcres Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    I'm following as well... I have a deposit on 6 doelings, and will be my first time with goats as well! I did find a good list of supplies when I googled goat supply checklist.. complete with emergency medicines etc.. hope I have everything they need ready!

6. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    What is the baking soda for?

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    To keep the stomach acid balanced and to avoid digestive problems like acidosis.

8. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Good to know guess I be putting that out there now to. OK I have another question my buck has been dating oak leafs some say small amount isnok others say that it's poisonous to them. Will he be OK we have red oak and evergreen oaks. It's nearly if not impossible to keep him from them as they are everywhere on the property. We also have mesquite, and he found my Jasmine and my Grape vine ...

9. EmeraldAcres

EmeraldAcres Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
  10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My goats eat stuff said to be poisonous too like lilac. If they're eating them and they are fine I would guess it's okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by