Tips for getting ducklings to like you?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by johari, Feb 26, 2014.

1. johari

johari Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    I need some tips. I got a pair of ducklings the other day. they are no more than one week old. they are terrified of us. I didn't have this problem with the ducklings I raise last year. I desperately need some tips.

2. johari

Mar 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. johari

Mar 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

4. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I would start by sitting next next to their brooder and talk to them (reading them a book is a great way for them to get used to your voice.) For their first week of life they can only recognize people by voice. Also try bringing them into a small room with you and let them run around. Sit on the floor and let them some to you, never chase them. Handle them as much as you can when they are in the brooder (so you are not chasing them.) They may freak out at first about hands coming towards them, but if you handle them enough they don't mind the hands and will eventually let you pet them and hold them. It takes a lot of patience and time. Treats help too ;). Good luck!

5. johari

Mar 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

My brooder...

6. johari

Mar 30, 2013

That's some great advice! Thanks!

7. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    We had this same issue with two ducklings which were given to us. We did a few things which seemed to help. You can make a certain noise and give them a treat. If they do not come to your hand place it down slowly as close as they allow without panicking them. Sometimes it helps to do this while they are separated, because one might spook the other. Also move very slow when entering their cage area and make that same noise or a new noise (stick to it for picking them up) to let them know it is you and you are safe. They memorize voices very quickly. Hold them often. Keep them in an environment where they get the most socialization. Talk to them as you pass them by.

I cannot remember what else we did, but I know this worked for us. If I think of anything else, I will let you know. To this day, if we use a certain noise they will come running. :weee

With a little work they will come around. Best wishes!

8. johari

Mar 30, 2013

Right now they are in my daughter's bedroom. I've thought about moving them into the living room, but I don't have any way to set up their lamp. I think they're too young yup get treats really.. I didn't do treats for my others until they were 3-4 weeks old.

But believe me, I am going to use all of your advice.

9. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    You can use their feed, that is what we used while they were itty bitty. That is funny, they started in my daughter's bedroom too. We moved them eventually into our kitchen, I know how gross. It was sport season for us, so they were not getting enough attention in her room, so we moved them to the kitchen where all the action was, as well as our coming and going which allowed everyone to pass them by and talk to them.

We are going to embark on another duckling adventure this spring :)

Are these a different breed than you had before?

10. johari

Mar 30, 2013

Yes they are. I think they're mallard or rouen (gotta love the tsc ducks). The ones I had before were Pekin. Though I don't have those ducks anymore. They were to large for my flock. I now have one khaki campbell and a mallard mix. Both females, both rescues. They are adults, they "hate" me. I was hoping that these babies would like me more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by