Tips for introducing 1 day old to 1 week old flock

HCBeck

Chirping
Feb 10, 2019
Maryland
I have 8 mixed flock chicks that are 1 week old today. My neighbor ordered 5 new chicks after a disastrous order last week and they will be arriving tomorrow. If all of them come alive, she will be giving 1 to me as she only wants 4. I am happy to take it but I do not have a separate area for this chick and will have to integrate it right into my current flock. Any tips? Is this a disaster waiting to happen or am I being overly concerned?

I have 8 mixed flock chicks that are 1 week old today. My neighbor ordered 5 new chicks after a disastrous order last week and they will be arriving tomorrow. If all of them come alive, she will be giving 1 to me as she only wants 4. I am happy to take it but I do not have a separate area for this chick and will have to integrate it right into my current flock. Any tips? Is this a disaster waiting to happen or am I being overly concerned?
I think it’s worth a try.. last year my flock was 2 three week olds.. 4 one week olds.. and 2 one day olds... and never had a bit of an issue.. and I also had only one Silkie with 7 standards.. she was in the middle group. Just keep an eye out cuz this year in my group of 4... all the same age.. I had one that I had to rehome because it was such a bully to one of the others... so ya neva know.. hope all is well!

Most likely the chick will be ok but watch it at first to see how the other chicks react to it. Good luck and have fun...
I have 2 week old and 4 day old chicks together and they do fine, but when you introduce them watch them for a bit and make sure everyone is OK with the addition.
That sounds encouraging! Is there anything I can try if there are problems or do I just remove her and rehome?

As long as it's not too aggressive leave them. They will most likely adjust. I have been putting different age chicks together and haven't had any problems. Usually the younger smaller chicks are trying to get under the larger chicks like they would their mother hen.

I’ve had chicks of 4 weeks, 2 weeks, and day olds together. Should be no problem. I would ask her to keep it with hers to ensure it is eating and drinking before you add it to yours since it is by itself.

Back
Top Bottom