Tips for introducing new birds.

6RandomBrownLayers

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 23, 2011
I have 6 pullets that I have had since September, so that would put them at about six months (Group A). I am getting 8 new chicks in April, 4 in the first week (group B), 4 in the last (group C). I was wondering how to introduce Group B and C to group A? Also would I have to introduce Group C to Group B because they are 2-3 weeks younger? They will be living in separate coops as I am building a second one for Groups B and C. I am hoping that this will help eliminate violence as they won't be fighting over roosts, food and water inside the coop. Any tips or help are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Will they have a common area, run or free range? If they have separate coops it will lessen the violence not eliminate it. They will still have to establish a pecking order even with separate coops.

In the case of mixing groups of chicks, as long as they are feathered out in a similar way, you can mix them. I'm a big advocate of giving week-old chicks clods of sod to peck at. They learn to peck the ground and not each other. Make sure there's plenty of room, and that the space is physically comfortable (or they'll all crowd the warm area). Make sure you have two waterers. Observe, observe!

I have a FAQ about introducing new hens on my web site. http://www.hencam.com/henblog/introducing-new-hens/
Over the last 15+ years I've introduced single hens to an established flock, introduced young birds to older ones, brought in chicks, and moved hens from one flock to another. The common thread to success is a) knowing your birds b) being observant c) managing the environment to give them the space they need and d) recognizing when there are some birds that simply won't get along.

Back
Top Bottom