Tips for keeping old hens healthy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sara9, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Sara9

Sara9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    I have two older hens and a rooster with my year old hens and they just seem shabby and old to me....and I worry about putting stress on them. They are missing lots of feathers and they just are a little banged up and slow. It's not like a big problem but I'm looking for tips on what should be looking out for to keep them healthy. They are between 3 and 4 and I don't think the hens are laying. Any supplements or special food. Should they be treated for parasites or should I be looking out for any deceases. What about care in winter. I worry the roosters big comb will get frostbite. They get layer organic food and some scratch. Curshed grannet and occasionally a little cat food for protean. What about giving them any kind of oil, vitamin, protean, supplement....I hope this isn't a silly question but I want to take good care of them.
    Thanks!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    They may be moulting, not at the same time as the young birds. Normal. Birds who aren't laying should really eat Flock Raiser, not a layer feed. You could try adding a separate feeder with that type of feed, and a third container of oyster shell. Is everyone able to eat, or are there issues with bullying? Many birds, especially heavy egg producing hatchery hens, develop bad health issues and die at three to four years of age. I've had two hens live to ten, but that's not usual. Many die at three to four, and some younger. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by