tips for making this less work =)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mah46036, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mah46036

mah46036 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2010
    Hi, I search the forum but didn't see what I was looking for. Anyway, we have 6 chicks and 2 ducklings in a plastic tub in our tub. They are 2 weeks and big enough to fly out of the tub but not able to get back in yet. They eat like pigs and crap even more. [​IMG]

They go thru a quart of feed and 2 quarts of water a day now. I put the water on a small baking sheet to try to contain the spills but it doesn't seem to help much. I have to clean the tub out at least every other day now. I hate to think what it will be like in a few more weeks. too cold to put outside yet. only 40 degrees for the high today.

Any tips for making this easier?

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Well I kept mine in a big plastic bin in my tub but you can also use a metal horse trough. It is a good size. I used sand and scooped it as needed like cat litter. I don't think you can get out of cleaning but I also noticed mine loved to roost at about a week and a half or so old so maybe giving them a nice piece of wood to roost on will encourage the poop to be in one area that you can clean more easily.

Caroline

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    you are going through all that water because you have ducks.

Separate them out if you can. That will make cleaning easier. Ducks are soooooooo messy.

I raised 7 chicks in my bathroom. Starting in a plastic tub then upgraded to a large box then into a large dog crate. They were in the house for 6 weeks. The last two weeks I had to change the shavings every other day. They would drink a quart waterer every other day as they were growing. Towards the end they were doing that much water every day.

It's the ducks! I promise you if you separate them out you will see the difference in what those 6 chicks are doing vs the 2 ducks.

This hatch I have nine chicks. But we are starting in the dog crate - so I don't have to keep finding boxes! LOL!

[​IMG]

There is cardboard all the way around to keep the shavings in. They are right now using about 1/4 of the space so there is tons of room for them to grow.

4. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. mah46036

Oct 12, 2010
    [​IMG]

Here is how we have them right now. sounds like the ducks are the mess but don't have anywhere else to put them for now.

6. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:OH YEAH! you got ducks! LOL! Do you have another plastic tub to put them in?

7. mah46036

Oct 12, 2010
    This is our first batch of chicks. we do ducks every year and let them go. Our littlest loves to swim with them in the tub. lol I don't remember them being this messy before. Oh well.

This year we were planning on putting the ducks in the chicken run.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:You let them go?

9. mah46036

Oct 12, 2010
    Quote:You let them go?

yes, they probably end up as coyote food but at least they have a chance. They always start out swimming down stream in the creek but we have never seen any of them again.

10. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    nother option for watering is at -------http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Poultry-Cup-Drinkers-pvc-mounting-saddle-/160556186956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561e4fd4c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by