Tips for raising turkey poults with chicks. Any advice is appreciated!

Dairyguy100

Chirping
Dec 12, 2018
i have 2 turkeys I am currently brooding with my chicks. Is there anything preventive or I need to do differently for having turkeys with my chicks?

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

You MUST use higher protein feed than chick starter...

It is okay for the chicks to have more protein (not meaties as they may grow to fast and encounter more leg hearts issues).. but NOT okay to raise turkey's much lower than 30%. Standard breed chickens do fine (as chicks, not adults with that much).

I suggest Purina turkey starter if you can find it (easily in the US) or a game bird starter, usually around 28% protein.
https://www.purinamills.com/game-bird-feed/products/detail/purina-game-bird-turkey-startena

Adding your general location to your profile can help others make the most relevant suggestions possible at a glace. ;)

Once older you will need to make sure internal parasite load isn't heavy among your flock. Raising turkeys with chickens can cause blackhead. I don't believe it should be a problem in the brooder.

Please see this thread for more detailed information...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/can-turkeys-eat-chick-food.1299341/#post-21157246

Pics always welcome! :pop

Here’s some pics of them...
333C1858-B1EC-47E9-924D-F52F93BAAD87.jpeg
51F53B35-8EA6-4E55-8DA5-8A15E76F28AF.jpeg
51FDA905-F415-4B8D-AAB3-06A7CF1D8637.jpeg

Any idea of the breed?

I currently have 5 turkeys brooding with 14 chickens, my turkeys are evil to the chicks! Has anyone encountered this?
Expect even more problems when they are adults. Raising poults with chicks causes the poults to imprint. When they grow up they are not able to understand that chickens are not turkeys and the results can be really bad for the chickens.

When your turkeys reach their "teenage" stage, they may act like juvenile delinquents.

Turkeys may be one of the most susceptible birds to imprinting.

Back
Top Bottom