1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tips for serama/silkie chicks&feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheFarmMama, Dec 12, 2009.

1. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Hey yall, there's a fairly good chance we'll have some baby seramas and silkies here in a few weeks and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as far as what to feed them and raising them. I've read to feed the seramas starter game feed but others say just normal chick feed. I'd love some advice and any tips, tricks, or hints anyone has for us. We've only ever had RIR, Sex-Links and Rocks. Thanks!!!

2. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I always used regular chick feed (unmedicated) for my silkie chicks. I do run it in the food processor for them though. They seem to do better with the feed ground more fine than comes out of the package.

3. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    My 4 wk old silkies are on medicated chick starter (crumbles) and they're doing great. Even the runt of the bunch goes to town on the crumbles.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Chick starter is fine for Seramas too.

5. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Great, thanks a bunch for all the responses so far. We're headed to Tractor Supply today to pick up everything so I wanted to check before we bought feed! 3 Serama eggs, 1 RIR/Sex-Link cross, and 4 silkie eggs live and well! Yay! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by